Suggest treatment for absent seizures and stiffness in the arms

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: diagnosed with absent siezers or unspecified epilepsy by neurologist and after E.E.G. results he changed it to panic attacks depressive disorder generalized anxiety disorder,,bipolar disorder. myalgia and myositis, abnormal involuntary movement. symptoms are muscle contraction throughout body generally starting in stiff left arm. facial muscles will tighten into grimace , muscle contractions then start through out body then resembling a fever but I can get warm even though body temp Is normal but my vitals may only elevate 10 points. this affects balance, mental acuity (slows down), and speech which is harder to find words or pronounce them. valium and T H C during the E.E.G. study helped or stopped the attacks but now I need 10 mg. of valium maybe twice a day and the THC does not aleviate it all the way. This all started when I was a prison guard at san XXXXXXX anxiety attacks I can handle with . 5 mg. of Xanax but the bipolar issue of being up for 20 hours or more and the sleeping for 12 or more are harder to handle. meitonine sleep aides and sometimes Xanax helps. all advice would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antiseizure drug with mood stabilizing properties to be added.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, besides xanax and melatonine use to control your symptoms, adding an antiseizure drug to your treatment that also has mood stabilizing proprieties, should improve your overall condition.

Antiseizure drugs that show mood stabilizing proprieties include valproic acid, topiramate etc.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 34 minutes later
tried antisiezure meds for twenty years none bring me to my normal state as when I wake up in the morning or when I sleep to reset my brain . mood stablisers have a altering effect that diminishes my mental and physical functionality siezures are more prevalent when I sleep more than 7 hours a day but anxiety and nasiousness are present during these times. also a nap to reset my brain during a seizure is effective but also affects my sleep patterns and maybe my bipolar disorder.

generally I can have one good day but depending on how physical I am or how long it takes for me to go to sleep. I can have episodes for one or two days there after.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other treatment ways should be considered.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

In this case, if your bipolar disorder is considered severe and resistant to pharmacologic treatment, you could discus with your Psychiatrist about electroconvulsive therapy (ETC), if it is appropriate in your case or not.

However, before to consider ETC, drugs treatment options should be considered exhausted.

Other drugs that may be tried include lithium carbonate, new antidepressants such duloxetine etc.

Hope I helped you.

Discuss with a Psychiatrist, or Psychologist about these issues.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana