• question-icon

Suggest treatment for absence seizures

Posted on Mon, 7 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello Experts, How are you? I need urgent assistance. My brother faced a major accident around 10 years back and was having brain injury for which treatment was given in XXXXXXX Hospital, Agra and Apollo Hospitals, Delhi. We are in constant conversation with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Nuerologist in Apollo. Recently, there were EEG and MRI scan done for a problem where my bro forgets everything for 5-10 seconds. He has advised to consult physician in Apollo after going through the reports. Can you please quickly look into the attached reports and suggest the next steps to be done to resolve my bro's health as soon as possible. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Your Bro is suffering from a type of epilepsy Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have carefully gone through your query as well as the test reports. MRI has revealed a scar (apparently due to brain injury in the past), while EEG is suggestive of epilepsy. The description of the problem- corroborated by MRI and EEG findings- suggests that your brother is suffering from a type of seizure disorder called, Absence Seizures. Absence Seizures begin abruptly, last 10 to 30 seconds, and resolve themselves without complication. The person simply stops in his tracks and enters a staring, trance-like state during which he is unresponsive and unaware of his surroundings. When the seizure passes, the person returns to normal, with no memory of the event and no lingering effects. He will require a long-term anti-epileptic drug (for at least three years or more). Hope I have addressed your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for the response. I would like to know whether the injury can be resolved using anti-epileptic drugs or we need to undergo surgery for the same. Please suggest ASAP. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgery not required. Drugs will control seizures. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Nice hearing back from you. As there has been no mention of your brother having any other problem, I presume that there were no after-effects of head injury, sustained 10 years back. The brain injury has already healed, leaving a scar behind. Surgical removal of a scar would be similar to inflicting another injury to the brain with possible greater damage. Hence, surgery is not required. Anti-epileptic drugs do not resolve the scar, but simply curb seizures. Lastly, he will require follow-up with a repeat MRIs at regular intervals- say, every year or two- to assess progression, if any. That would however, depend on the treating Neurologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal