Suggest treatment for abscess tooth pain and swelling

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 28 Sep 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I have been dealing with an abscesses tooth I was put on a course of antibiotics amoxcylin which I finished I'm however still having lots of swelling and pain with this and the dentist will not refill the antibiotics or change to another siting it will not make a difference due to the amount of time that has gone by . also my pcp won't even talk to me about it so what direction can I take to try and get over this
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need treatment of the tooth along with another course of medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can very well understand your concern..

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms as you are suffering from tooth abscess and antibiotics will take a long time, say almost 15 days for complete resolution of infection..
As there is pus formation below the root tips of the infected tooth in case of dental abscess, many a times pus perforates the bone and the pus gets accumulated in the soft tissues leading to formation of swelling and pain occurs due to pressure over the nerve endings..

The best way the condition can be resolved is by getting the x ray of the tooth done and proper evaluation by co-relating the clinical and radiographic features..

In case if the tooth can be saved ROOT CANAL TREATMENT OF THE TOOTH followed by antibiotics and painkillers will help..

In case if tooth is extensively decayed extraction is the choice of treatment..

-As you are in excessive pain , kindly tell me which all medicines are given to you along with Amoxicillin?
-Is there any painkiller or analgesic given to you or only Amoxicillin ?
-If you have an x ray of the tooth, kindly send it to me by uploading it with the query.

Waiting for your reply..

Any further questions are welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 7 minutes later
they did to provide me with the xray. they did give me trandol which I am already out of I been taking 800 MG ibuprofen along with 1000 MG tynol every 6 to 8 hours
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult an ENDODONTIST..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

Taking Tramadol can even further help as well as Ibuprofen and Tylenol, but until the cause of pain that is the infected tooth is not treated the painkillers will provide only temporary relief..

You should consult an Endodontist who are experts in treating cases related to dental abscesses and will either initiate a Root canal treatment and drill a cavity in the tooth under local anaesthesia so that an escape way is created for draining out of pus and as soon as pus will drain the swelling and pain will gradually start reducing..

While if tooth is not in condition to be saved Extraction will be advised for permanent relief..

Only medications will not relieve completely and if in case this acute phase is relieved, recurring episodes can also happen.

As of now you can start another ten days course of Amoxicillin for reducing infection or else other combinations like Augmentin 625mg thrice a day or a combination of Ofloxacin 200mg + Ornidazole 50 mg can be taken.

Continue taking painkillers.

But getting tooth treated is must..

Further queries are welcome.
You can also ask me a direct question by clicking on my profile and there click on "Ask me a question" and the question will come directly to me..

If your query is solved, kindly write a positive review and give a Five star rating as a token of appreciation..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora..

Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 13 hours later
ok I have no more pain mess but tynol and ib profiln which is not working
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get some painkillers from the prescriptions that you have

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
Welcome Again

It you are not left with any more painkillers then get Tramadol as it is a higher painkiller and helps in treatment of moderate to set pain..
You can take Tramadol 50 mg twice a day and Ibuprofen 800 mg twice a day.
Hopefully it will work.

But again I would like to tell you that better get tooth treated for permanent relief.

Further queries are welcome.

You can also ask me a direct question by clicking on my profile and there click on "Ask me a question" and the question will come directly to me.

If your query is solved, kindly write a positive review and give a Five star rating as a token of appreciation.

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina