Suggest treatment for abdominal pain,headaches and fever

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend is experiencing all kinds of health issues here in the past few weeks. She's 21. She's experiencing extreme mood changes, fatigue, slight cramping from time to time in the abdominal area, periodic headaches, she had a fever of 102 one day. she had blood work done but it came back "abnormal". The only thing we know is that the blood work showed that she isn't pregnant. I'm just concerned for her. she also has switched birth control pills 4 times in the past two years because it has affected her badly in some form or another. She changed to Cilest one month ago. Just curious as to what this might be. an std? cancer of some sort? thyroid issues? any insight would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Soumya 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details of analysis

Detailed Answer:

I understand the pain your girlfriend is going through. Therefore I am writing stepwise advice to each of your query.

1) Mood changes, headache and fatigue could be due to the birth control pills as you mentioned she has switched 4 different brands by now. Birth control pills contains hormones which are responsible for many of the aforementioned symptoms.

2) She needs to change to some other forms of contraception which are non hormonal like intrauterine device (IUD).

3) Fever of 102 is most likely incidental. It could be due to viral or bacterial infection. Her treating doctor can decide the plan of action as per blood investigation reports. Since you mentioned the reports are abnormal and not other details, I am unable to comment further.

4) Cramp in abdominal area may either be related to pills or due to endometriosis of ovary. I would order a transvaginal ultrasound scan to exclude endometrosis. Blood tests are not enough.

5) This is unlikely to be cancer or STD.

6) Thyroid issues may explain some of the aforementioned symptoms. It can be easily ruled out by thyroid profile blood test.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 15 hours later
She's now saying she had pancreas and liver issues mixed with anemia and sleep apnea.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details please

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I would like more details of the pancreas and liver issues. What disease precisely was diagnosed ?

What medicines she is taking or took in past. Please upload scanned copies of the reports done in past so that I can advice better.

Anemia can easily be treated with iron medicines. You can get prescription for the same from your doctor.

Sleep apnea generally is associated with obesity. Let me know her height and weight so that I can decide on sleep apnea.

Please upload scanned copies of liver and pancreas disease so that I can advice accurately.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D