• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal pain while having gallbladder inflammation

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My mother is having abdominal pain since last 10 days, we thought it was gas. We showed it to a general physician 3 days back who gave some medicines. They didn't relieve the pain, so we went to a hospital. After going through CT scan and USG of abdomen, it is found that gall bladder is infalted, has 4.5 mm stone and has infection. The surgeon and doctor here have referred for surgerical removal of gall bladder. What would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, her doctor is right

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Her doctor is right. She needs to undergo surgery to get the gallbladder removed.

Her pain is due to inflamed gallbladder. This is due to the stone in the gallbladder.
It is confirmed in the CT scan.

Her blood tests show high white cell count which indicates infection.
She needs a course of antibiotic to control the infection first and then the surgery may be done.
Surgery can be done by laparoscopic method.

If her gallbladder is not removed she may get similar episodes of pain in the future also.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist