• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal pain, flatulence and bloating

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Over the last two years my daughter has seen 2 specialists. Every test comes back negative, but when she eats she has so much gas in her stomach. She tells me her pain level is a 4 or 5 every day. Her stomach is bloated quite often. We did 2 colonoscopies, upper and lower GI scans. Camera to look at intestines. Lactose, Gluten and bacterial type infections. Don't know what else to do? Also she is working with a psychiatrist and psychologist.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone carefully through the details. Unless there is a XXXXXXX ulcer, an upper GI endoscopy might not always identify signs of gastritis. Gastritis can be triggered by stress and emotional disturbance. My suggestions would be to:
* Ask her to take omeprazole once daily before breakfast. Try it for at least a week and see if it makes a difference.
* She has to avoid long gaps between meals. She should take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* She should discuss with her doctor about taking Prodep (fluoxetine) once daily for at least six weeks (it takes time for the action to set in). Although otherwise used for neurological or psychiatric purpose, this medicine can have a significant improvement in the complaint your daughter has.

A clinical examination was actually important but that is unfortunately beyond scope.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 minutes later
She is taking Fluoxetine. I will have her take the omeprazole. Any other recommendations.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular morning walk is essential.

Detailed Answer:
No specific recommendations other the ones mentioned.
However, regular morning walk and physical exersie is very important in taking care of the problems.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 days later
All the gas in her stomach seems to be going away. She still is very limited on the foods that she eats. Any good diet suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A diet low in oil and spices.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back. No definite suggestion on the diet except for:
* Keep it low in spices and oil. Minimize frying and use more of boiling.
* Plenty of green leafy vegetables and dietary fibers are to be included in the diet.
* Small but frequent meals are to be taken.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha