Suggest treatment for abdominal pain caused after taking Hydromorphone

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My mom has a torn miniscus in her left knee and she took hydromorphone and now she is getting severe
Abdominal pains from the medication. What should she do?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop the hydromorphone. Find alternative treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

She should stop taking the hydromorphone. It is not usually a drug that is prescribed for a meniscal tear. A more appropriate medication would be an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen and physiotherapy before considering surgical removal of the tear using an arthroscope.

Hydromorphone can cause nausea, vomiting and constipation. If the pain continues or worsens then it is conceivable that her symptoms are not due to the medication and she should seek medical advice.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes