Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and pain in the ribs caused by gastritis
Left upper abdominal pain can be from stomach irritation (gastritis) or reflux of acid into the esophagus. I see that you are taking prednisone, and this can cause gastric upset in some people.
If you have to continue the prednisone, I recommend taking an H2 blocker such as Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day while you are on the prednisone, and for a couple of weeks after you are done with it.
Don't take any NSAIDs such as ibuprofen as this can make the problem worse.
I do strongly recommend that you let your doctor know about the pain tomorrow, as he or she may want to stop the prednisone is your breathing has improved.
If you don't have any stores open to get the Zantac, if you have antacid, take that now. It won't help as much as the Zantac though, and once you take the Zantac don't also take antacid.
If the pain gets worse, or if you vomit something that looks like coffee grounds or have black or tarry stool, then do go in to be seen by a doctor promptly.
The one other thing I feel I need to mention is: if the pain is in your chest rather than abdomen, while it could still be from acid reflux, you would need to go in to the ER to make sure it isn't a heart problem. But sharp pain is not typical for heart problems.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide further help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain lymph node swelling muscular pain painkiller causes gastritis
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting
- Suggest treatments for abdominal pain
- Does gastritis cause abdominal pain
- Stomach and abdominal pain causes and treatment
- Abdominal pain bloating gastritis on medicines not much improvement suggestions
- What is the cause and treatment for abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain caused by hard coughing
- Gastritis and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and bloating