Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and constipation

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I woke yesterday with sudden razor-like abdominal pain and constipation, in bed all day with chills and pain. Ate no solids for 24 hours. Today better, somewhat runny bowel movements happening, staying on liquids. Still some abdominal pain, almost feels like a mild internal bruise. (Have had gall bladder removed.) Since I seem to be passing waste and have no chills or "flu-like" symptoms, am I OK to wait a day or two (before calling md) to see if all is well or is there a risk? Sorry, long question. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait ...

Detailed Answer:

diarrhea without fever or blood in the stool and with less than 4 movements per day is not dangerous for most of the patients. The most common cause is gastroenteritis. It usually lasts for a couple of days. If it lasts for longer then a stool culture and medical assessment would be needed.

Just make sure you get enough fluids to replenish the losses. Check for fever and avoid milk, fatty food and too much fiber because they may cause more diarrhea.

I hope I've helped!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis