Suggest treatment for abdominal discomfort and pain

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been experiencing flat stools when i go to the toilet from about six months now. I am 27 years old and my other other symptoms are light lower abdominal discomfort after eating, slight pain in the lower abdomen relieved by bowel movement, bloating after I eat spicy / oily foods, Urge for bowel movment after I eat heavy lunch, Intermittent gas pains.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be IBS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

The symptoms you describe are highly indicative for a benign condition of large intestine called Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
It is still unclear what causes this condition but it is thought it is caused by abnormal transit of stools (too slowly or to fast ) in large intestines.

The signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome can vary widely from person to person .Most common symptoms include :Diarrhea or constipation,bloated feeling,gas, flat stools,abdominal pain or cramping relieved from defecation,etc.

There are no specific signs ,symptoms and tests to diagnose this condition. Diagnosis is often a process of ruling out other conditions.
So it is important to consult a physician and get examined.
A detailed medical history ,physical examination are necessary.
The doctor may recommend a course of treatment and see how your symptoms will respond to it.
If your symptoms aren't relieved from the treatment ,then your doctor may order additional test.

The first line of treatment include lifestyle modifications:
-Avoid foods that trigger your symptoms.
-Eat foods rich in fibers ,reduce diary products.
-Eat frequent small meals instead of large meals.
-Exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids.

It is important to consult a physician and get examined to exclude other possible causes for your symptoms.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have any additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

All the best!
Dr.Rovena Murati

Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 44 minutes later
Is there any OTC medicines I could take for feeling better ? Usually I have alternating Diarrhea / Constipation but diarrhea dominant. I started facing this problem only after I took a strong antibiotic course for H2 Pylori infection last year. A few months back I consulted a physician and he prescribed me for Fecal Occult Blood test and the results were negative.

It is only the flat stools I am worried about. I have also observed that the days I workout, I usually feel better overall. But the flat stools wont stop.

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
First organic causes should be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Having alternating diarrhea/constipation and flat stool increase the probability that it is IBS (because these are very characteristic for IBS).

IBS is a chronic condition ,it has it's own periods of aggravation and improvement of the symptoms.
This condition is highly related with stress and anxiety so a way to relieve your symptoms is try to have a stress-free life.
There is no specific cure for IBS .Treatment consist in using medicines to treat specific symptoms (e.i if you have diarrhea you can use anti-diarrhea drugs ,or laxatives for constipation).

You can try these medicines but only after IBS is diagnosed.
For these you should consult a physician (Gastroenterologist) and get examined.You may need to run following tests to rule out organic issues :
-Abdominal ultrasound
-Culture of stool
-Test for ova/parasites of stool
-Colonoscopy.

Once organic issues are excluded you can follow some suggestions to control IBS:
-Exercise regularly
-Drink plenty of fluids
-Eat high fiber foods
-Take probiotics on daily basis for one month.
-Use Simethicone (to reduce bloating )
-Duspatalin up to 2 weeks (to treat abdominal pain & cramps).

Hope it was of help.
Fell free to ask further questions.

Take care!

Dr.Rovena Murati