Suggest treatment for abdominal cramps and constipation

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What can I do to relieve non-menstral stomach cramps? I took one small laxative tablet (Equate from WalMart) for constipation on Wednesday night, had a movement in the early hours on Thursday morning and again after breakfast that same morning. For the remainder of the day Thursday and all night long into this morning I have experienced terrible stomach cramps. Also Thursday afternoon felt like vomiting, but nothing came up. Malox has not helped. I have some gas and a bout of hiccups last night.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to use stool softeners like lactulose and kleen enema

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through .

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if all your symptoms are triggered by constipation and decreased bowl movement or hard stool might be the cause. You need to use stool softeners like lactulose and motility agents like domperidone or mebeverine. They can increase the gastric motility however if pain gets worse or stool frequency doesn't normalise you may need to have kleen enema to remove or soften impacted stools in rectum. Using glycerine suppositories will also make it easy for you.

If it doesn't resolve then get an Xray erect abdomen and get a surgeons review to rule any signs of gut obstruction and that may need emergency management after admission then. Hope the things will get better by the earlier management.

Meanwhile using fibre rich diets and ispaghol husk may help to improve gastric motility. you can continue using more fluids.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj