Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating, diarrhea and nausea

Posted on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the past few days I have had a lot of abdominal pressure, pain when bearing down, feeling bloated and as if I need to have a bowel movement and only going a little but frequently and my still is loose and lighter than normal, a lot of gas, no appetite and nausea. I have had a few bouts of diverticulitis but all cured with antibiotics and none requiring hospitalization. I am not having as many bowel movements as I did two days ago but just feel awful. Any suggestions as to what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care , IBS and diverticulitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Symptoms of bloating, fullness, abdominal pressure , loose stools, alot of gas with history of diverticulitis at this age could be a recurrent episode of diverticulitis or irritable bowel syndrome.

Treatment to all this is mostly supportive. Small frequent meals, avoiding dairy products, spices, processed canned foods, alcohol, beverages, soda, smoking, tea, coffee etc helps. Prefer more fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables and fluids intake. Exercise daily for 45 minutes . Adapt good bowel habits, prefer defection early morning after breakfast , sit on the toilet for 10 minutes 10 minutes after breakfast . Use of yogurt and peppermint will help the bowel habits too. Probiotics can be considered too. Use of amitriptyline has helped with these bowel symptoms as well.

No bowel movements for two days should be managed with some laxatives and more fluids intake and frequent mobility / walk, it will help increase bowel movements. If the issue persists, or worsens, please visit your local physician and let them work you up for other differentials.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan