• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and difficulty in breathing

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been suffering with severe Bloating problem. Now I am unable to breathe. I was deprived of sleep too. My tummy is bloated all the time and finding it very difficult to breathe. I need a endoscopy? Please advise
Answered by Dr. Sunil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initially follow medications for 5 days.

Detailed Answer:
Have gone through your question Dear patient-
Swallowing air while you eat or drink can cause air to collect in the digestive tractand can cause bloating belching or flatulence.Secondly, as you digest food, digestive gases are formed as a result of fermentation and digestion of food which can also collect. Either method can cause severe bloating.The pathophysiology of gas and flatulence is complicated. Understanding gut microflora, gas production, intestinal transit, intestinal propulsion of gas, and sensory function within the GI tract are essential for understanding symptom generation.The term gut microflora or microbiota means hundreds of species of bacteria which lives in our intestinal tract.These bacterias and yeast are responsible for proper digestion and fermentation of food. Hundreds of species of bacteria and yeast are found in colon of human intestine.In the same way thousands of these species florish in our gut these bacteria play a vital role in digestion and absorption of food.Even minor disturbances in gut microflora can lead to significant changes in gut function, including gas production.
There are various mechanism that can be related to increased flatulence.The most plentiful and important bacteria in the small intestine is the Lactobacillus species. Lactobacillus helps ferment indigestible carbohydrates and, as I mention below, supports the breakdown of sugars in dairy products, which are a common source of food sensitivities.The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteriaand yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases. But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.If this microbiota is disturbed food is improperly fermented causing production of large amount of gases in gut leading to severe flatulence.Hence most common cause in most of the cases is disturbed microbiota. In old patient mobility of intestines is severely compromised leading to accumulation of large amount of gases in intestines.As peristaltic moments are week gas accumulates in intestines.Severe constipation or incomplete evacuation can also hinder the passage of gases.

-Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth can be a reason of severe flatulence .
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria are present in the small intestine, and the types of bacteria in the small intestine resemble more the bacteria of the colon than the small intestines causing improper and disturbed food digestion.

Tests suggested-
Small bowel imaging and a gastric-emptying scan.
No right now you don''t need endoscopy.
Firstly stabilize yourself.

Rx(you will find them at any pharmacy in india).
Capsule Rablet L once daily (9a.m)
Capsule econorm thrice daily(9a.m-2p.m-8p.m)
Syrup Mucaine gel 15 mil thrice daily with half cup of water(9a.m-2p.m-8p.m)
Cap Aristrozyme thrice daily(9a.m-2p.m-8p.m)
Tab Zolfresh(Zolpidem) 5mg once daily before sleep for 3 days(would help you in sleeping).
This treatment will provide you immediate relief.

Hope i answered your query with relevant details.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist