Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and diarrhea

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarhea/watery stool for all bowel movements for a week. Gas and bloating as well. Some discomfort and pain that feels like its from the gas. No dietary changes. No exposure to contaminated water. Family history - father had colon polyps/cancer. Stool has no red blood. 38 year old male. No tobacco use. Relatively heavy alcohol use. Otherwise excellent health, exercise every day.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
With a hisyory of just a week its acute enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Firstly thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

As per your query most likely you are having gastroenteritis.Indon't think that its anal or rectal cancer especially with such a small history if just 1 week.
Initiall i would like to treat you on guidelines of acute gastroenteritis however in case the symptoms are recurrent despite optimal therapy then we can consider other investigations like coloscopy.
Gastroenteritis is inflammation of gastric mucosa.Most commonly its viral.Viral gastroenteritis usually limits itself in 7-10 days,Intially i would avice you to go for stool routine and microscopy test to rule out to rule out Bacterial or Protozoal infection.As therapy with antibiotic has to be taken if its bacterial or protozoal enteritis.
Apart from imodium(Looeramide), I would suggest you to take a probiotic teice daily.It repletes the disturbed gastric flora hence making digestion better.
Apart from that isaphghullu husk(Metamucil) should be taken twice daily.It will increase bulk of stool and bowels normal.

General precautions-
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Avoid meat.
Try boiled food(Vegetables) with spices and herbs for a week.
Drink plenty of orange juice and coconut water.
keep yourself hydrated.

Follow up with reports of stool test.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist