Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and constipation

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am considering taking Mag Citrate this evening. I ate a Cuban Sandwich in XXXXXXX 2 days ago and I have felt constipated, experiencing stomach gurgling sounds, and have felt somewhat bloated ever since. Some fluids have been passed via bowel movements. Your advice please?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recommendations:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I want to clarify: when fluids have passed rectally, has this been similar to diarrhea, or do you feel you are obstructed and a small amount of fluids are passing around the obstruction?

If you have used magnesium citrate as a laxative before and tolerated it well, it would be reasonable to try it now. Otherwise, milder laxatives may be easier on you, such as bisacodyl (Dulcolax) which is a bowel stimulant, or docusate (Colace) which is a stool softener.

I recommend avoiding fruit while you are constipated because if it doesn't pass, it can ferment and cause more bloating. Fruit juices would be a better choice, in particular prune juice.

I hope this information helps and that you are feeling better soon! Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Hi and thank you,

The fluids are not as abundant as they were in passing rectally. I also feel that the fluid are passing around the obstruction. I also had a circular type discomforting pain that went from the front of my stomach to my lower back region.

I have never used Magnesium Citrate as I can remember; however, about 5 years ago I took a medication prior to preparing for a Colonoscopy and it may have been Mag Citrate. I recently conducted some research on Mag Citrate and found it to be something that intrigued my interest.

Q: How much Mag Citrate should I consume for this one action?

I will consider taking a milder laxative if I feel that this problem is getting better.

Thank you...Doyle
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Magnesium citrate

Detailed Answer:
Hello Doyle,

Magnesium citrate is commonly used as a colonoscopy bowel prep because it works quite powerfully. Taste is quite bad! You can try 150 ml, either as one dose, or to be more cautious, take 1/2 of that and wait 3-4 hours. If no results in that time you can take the other half. Be sure to drink 2 full glasses of water with it so that you don't get dehydrated if it results in diarrhea. Eating can slow down the start time for magnesium citrate's effectiveness.

If you want to try a magnesium product that is more gentle, consider magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia), 60 ml at bedtime.

Both of these products work as osmotic laxatives - meaning because there is a higher concentration of solutes in the stool (from the magnesium), water is drawn out of your system into the stool.