• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and chest pain while suffering from hiatal hernia

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a hiatal hernia and I am super bloated without even eating and there is a little throbbing in my chest should I go to the e.r or is it just bad gas ? what can I do to remedy this discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty. Do you know for sure that you have a hiatal hernia?

For the bloating, you can try an acid blocker such as Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg once a day to decrease acid. Also consider taking simethicone (such as GasX) which breaks up gas pockets (even if you don't have burping and flatulence).

I asked if you are sure the problem is a hiatal hernia because acid reflux (which can be from the hernia or can be independent) and peptic/duodenal ulcers can cause these symptoms too.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Yes I went to the e.r 4 days ago and got endoscopy they til me it is a h.hernia and gastro but I don't feel any better even though I take 40mg prilosec everyday now
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:
If you are taking 40 mg Prilosec, then don't take the Zantac. But you can add on the simethicone for bloating.

If you are having acid reflux, it may take a few weeks for the Prilosec to help adequately. However, if you are having absolutely zero improvement, then I recommend you call the gastroenterology doctor tomorrow to discuss a plan for you.

Foods that you may tolerate more easily right now are plain chicken, turkey, fish, and well steamed vegetables, but avoid tomatoes, citrus, and greasy and spicy preparations. Eat small amounts at a time so that there isn't increased distention which will cause more pressure and reflux if you have a hiatal hernia. And avoid eating for 2-3 hour before bed. No alcohol, or tobacco. Also, mint can make reflux worse. If you haven't already, get blocks to put under the poles at the front of your bed to elevate that part of your bed. This will help decrease reflux.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh