• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal aneurysm

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: I have an abdominal aneurysm, 5.25 cm, and I'm scheduled for open abdominal surgery in two weeks. I was told to have an ultrasound and a STRESS test performed before the operation. I feel the stress test may cause
the aneurysm to rupture. Is that a possibility and would It be safer to not have the stress test done?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is true that physical activity (during the cardiac stress test) can raise the blood pressure and increase the risk of rupture of the aneurysm.

The risk of rupture depends more more on the aneurysm anatomical pattern, but high blood pressure can impose to a greater risk of rupture.

Although the risk of rupture is higher in aneurysms with a greater diameter or with a higher progression speed, there is no guarantee on the possible rupture during the cardiac stress test.

A more safe procedure, which would help investigate for coronary artery disease, without raising your blood pressure would be the cardiac stress echo with Dobutamine.

Another option would be the coronary angio CT scan, which does not raise your blood pressure too.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above options.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist