Suggest treatment for a welt on the shoulder

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: Bi welt on my shoulder...I think it is a spider bite...How should I treat?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 10 minutes later

Following measures are advised in case of this kind of spider bites,

1. Clean the bite with mild soap and water.

2. Apply cold packs to the bite, to reduce pain and inflammation.

3. Here ,the bite is on leg then, keep it elevated.

4. Take over-the-counter pain relievers like tab.diclofenac with serratiopeptidase to reduce swelling,pain and inflammation and anti-allergic drugs like cetrizin
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Thank you...Is Tylenol okay to take? How long should it take for the swelling to go down?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,tylenol can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up query,

Since there is a swelling,I have advised you to take pain reliever (like tab.diclofenac) in combination with serratiopeptidase to reduce the swelling,otherwise there is no issue to take Tylenol if the swelling is not so big. You can also take Tylenol instead of diclofenac.

Intramuscular Tetanus toxoid injection must be taken for a safer side.

You will also require topical antibiotic (neosporin) cream or ointment for faster improvement.

Take antihistamine tablet like cetrizine 10 mg twice daily to prevent itching and redness.

Mostly,spider bites are non-dangerous and subside within 3 or 4 days,so you can take the above medications for initial 3 days. Till the time I would suggest you to be patient.

If swelling remains persistent even after symptomatic treatment, then it is better to see some local doctor or GP who will examine the bite and prescribe the appropriate treatment further.

A call to local poison control center will also be helpful.

Hope this will help you.Let me know if you have anymore doubt.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar