Suggest treatment for a tender spot near the anus

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a tiny hole next to anis that is a little larger than a pore, looks like a pore, no drainage, was tender and red around, not an ingrown hair, started applying antibiotics cream and it's getting better but opening is still there, should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis: Pilonidal Sinus

Detailed Answer:
Thank You for the query at HealthcareMagic,

Pilonidal sinus is a small tunnel/ hole that develops in skin, usually around the buttock area.
It usually occurs in people who sit too long like drivers, people working at a desk etc.
It can get infected leading to drainage, foul odor, and abscess formation.

Confirmation of diagnosis should be done by a Physician/General surgeon after a physical examination.

Treatment is with broad-spectrum oral antibiotics (if infected), Lancing (Procedure where the sinus tract is opened, packed and left to heal inside out), Phenol injection and surgery only in recurrent cases.

Meanwhile, keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting clothes to prevent friction and avoid sitting for prolonged period of time.Warm compress on affected area also help relieve pain and inflammation.

Please follow-up with a surgeon, to undergo necessary management.

Hope I was able to help you
Please feel free to ask any further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee