Suggest treatment for a swollen and infected eye

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello, I have two eye-related problems going on at once: I had cataract surgery on my right eye last December. Within the last three months I have developed "fuchs dystrophy in this eye" (No, I am not cursing at you :-). Within the last three days I contracted either a head cold or allergy which is causing my right eye to swell with thick discharge. I have disconinued using the steroid eye drops and the Muro 128 drops prescribed and recommended by my opthalmologist. My next appointment is August 17. Question: Should I go to Urgent Care for an antibiotic for my eye before that appointment or simply wait till then.?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description and history, if the eye is infected with a purulent discharge then there is no point in waiting out for the appointment. Antibiotics should be advised and the discharge should be cultured before starting the antibiotics.

wishing you best of health

Thanks