Suggest treatment for a sprain in the ankles

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I recently sprained my ankle and I ride horses for a living...day aftr I had discomfort but I taped ankle and it didn't hurt to walk on it..I rode a couple horses and it got incradsingly painful and I felt a pop on he outside of my YYYY@YYYY ...I went home and iced,elevated.and rested it for 3days. since it didn't hurt at all to walk I went back to try to ride..as soon as I put my foot in the stirrup I knew I wouldn't be able to continue as the pain was high even though I could walk fine! I had an MRI done today but have not received results...any idea on what it is?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a damaged ligament.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.

It was a good idea to do the MRI, as per your description, it could be a damaged ligament .
It hurts more when you ride, due to the movement that you perform while riding makes the ligament stretch .

The MRI will confirm the diagnosis and show exactly which is the damaged ligament ,how severe is it and according to the result you will discuss with you treating about the treatment (physical rehabilitation and/ surgery..)

Meanwhile take some anti-inflammatory medications : Ibuprofen, Paracetacamol, and continue icing, rest and limb elevation for the time being.

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, I'll be happy to help .
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee