Suggest treatment for a spot on calf due to a possible insect bite

Dr. VINAY KUMAR

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What is this? It does not itch or hurt. Its on my calf
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Related to an irritation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to this site!

I am Dr V XXXXXXX a XXXXXXX Consultant.

I have scrutinized your photograph and noted the details.

This matches an irritation caused by some chemical or even could be due to insect bite. Since when do you have it?
Please consider the following measures for better management of lesion:

1 Wash the affected area thoroughly several times a day

2 The most effective local application consists of a steroid called Fluticasone.

3 avoid scratching and apply some moisturizer on the surrounding area

4 Anti allergics like Cetirizine are a great help in cases where itching is prominent. You might consider skipping them for now but in case of need, it can be considered

It should be a matter of a week or so before this reduces by at least half while some discoloration might linger on a bit longer.

Best wishes from us, always!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. VINAY KUMAR 2 days later
Thank You. I just want to ask if Fluticasone requires a prescription
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternative to previous suggestion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back!

I am not aware whether Fluticasone is available without prescription in your area or not. However, I would suggest that in case the said compound is not available, you might consider using Hydrocortisone cream instead which to the best of my knowledge, is an OTC product.

Our Best wishes for your recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D