• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a small fracture in the foot

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell down stairs and suffered a small fracture in my ankle and a small bone in my foot. Three weeks of a cast, now the cast has been removed and I have a boot. I'm using a wheelchair to get around the house. I've put only leg resting weight on the cast and boot. Is it acceptable now to sleep without the boot and to sit with my foot elevated in a recliner chair without the boot? And sometimes the urge to streeeetch that foot is nearly irresistible. Is stretching allowed now? I intend to wear the boot another week, then start very light walking. I know picking up a calf is off limits for another month or two!

I am 67 years old, weigh 170 pounds, 5'5" tall, in very good physical condition (we have an organic smallholding so I spend hours every day in the garden and tending animals. My pedometer says I walk 15-20,000 steps per day on average, but some days it's double that.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion ,you can relax and sleep without the boot.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopedic Surgeon.
You have not mentioned the exact bones which are fractured .If you had a small fracture in ankle and foot - generally 3 weeks is sufficient with cast. In my opinion you can sleep and relax without the boot and can stretch your leg . However I suggest that you follow the advise of your doctor ,since he has seen you and is in a better position to guide your treatment.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon