Suggest treatment for a shoulder injury

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yesterday, I jogged on a treadmill. I think I pushed it slightly too much. There were a few moments later in the morning where I had mild discomfort in the center of my chest. (I think it’s where the sternum is.) It only lasted a few seconds and it was very mild each time. On a 1 to 10 scale, it might be a 1.5 or 2 at most. It was enough for me to notice something was slightly different, though. I did not have any symptoms when I was on the treadmill. I’m worried about what this could be.

Here’s some more information. I had consumed coffee beforehand, and I always find that if I do that, my pulse is higher. I’m also not in the best shape, especially since I’m coming off a shoulder injury and I’ve been inactive. So, after jogging for a while at just 4.5 mph, my pulse went as high as 159, which is a little above 85% of my XXXXXXX heart rate. From experience, I would guess that if I had consumed tea instead of coffee, my pulse would have only gone up to around 140. I also have to admit I consume too much sodium. In addition, I’m an anxious person. In terms of my health records, I see that last summer my cholesterol was 166, although it once was too high (235 in 2013).

I’m planning to see my doctor but can you give me an idea of what this is. I’m wondering if it’s the beginning of clogged arteries or any other kind of heart issue, just a muscle sprain, anxiety, or something else. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any cardiac disorders.

The chest pain is not typical of cardiac ischemia or clogged arteries. It seems to be related to a musculo-skeletal pain, probably because of the straining physical activity you had.

If the pain persists, I would recommend taking acetaminophen to help relieve it. Avoiding straining physical activity in the next days is also necessary to reduce musculo-skeletal pain.

Regarding your heart rate, I would explain that the maximal heart rate for every normal person is calculated by the formula 220-age in years, which in your case would be 183 bpm. So, you have not achieved this maximal heart rate yet.

You should know that caffeine contained in coffee causes a stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system, which leads to increased levels of circulating adrenaline and noradrenaline in your blood, thus causing increased heart rate. Physical activity and anxiety have the same effects. This is a physiological reaction and happens in every healthy individual.

That is why you do not have the same effects when taking tea. Besides caffeine can trigger anxiety.

That is why I would not recommend taking coffee, especially when you are going to make physical exercise.

Regarding your last cholesterol levels, they are perfectly normal.

To conclude I do not think that your symptoms are related to any serious medical disorder.

So, there is nothing to worry about! Just relax and try not to think about it!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist