Suggest treatment for a ruptured bakers cyst

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I went to the dr on Tuesday and he said I had a ruptured bakers cust . On u/ sound today it doesn't appeared ruptured but I have been resting my leg for a week and my calf isn't swollen anymore- is it possible it revealed itself
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes this can be possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have read your query.
bakers cyst can dislodge from neck of sack and can come in front.
you can excise cyst if it's pain ful.
MRI knee will help you to confirm location of cyst.
consult your doctor for clinical examination and further investigation like MRI.
Anterior cyst can be aspirated and can reduce symptoms temporary.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
I'm confused about what to do now the scan showed a large cyst which is causing significant pain and difficulty moving around - my go said get it drained but it could come back.wouldnt it be better to get it excised
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes excision is permanent cure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have read your query,

Yes excision is permanent treatment.
If there is any problem you can drain it now and plan excision in future.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon