Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for a recurrent pimple on shoulder

Answered by
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1978

Answered : 6714 Questions

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Acne
Question: I have a pimple that has healed on my shoulder. It feels like a knot under my skin but it is not painful, and it does not appear inflamed. If I massage it, it will eventually expel a foul-smelling sebum. Not a great amount but maybe ½ a pencil eraser head's worth. It has healed a few times, but always with the lump under my skin. Should I try to get rid of it or not? If I should, what is the best method? Visiting a dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief is a sebaceous cyst
Detailed answer...
Thanks for the query.
your query suggests that you are having a sebaceous cyst.
Generally it doesn't require treatment but it is treated if it becomes unsightly or painful or if it gets infected.
Treatment is surgical removal of entire cyst.
Consult a surgeon for its removal,if you think that it is causing problem to you.
It is a simple procedure which can be done under local anaesthesia.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on