Suggest treatment for a pus-filled lump on the hand after an insect bite
antihistamine and painkillers
horsefly bite can be very painful and cause severe local reaction. Infection is possible. Basic treatment with an antihistamine should be enough for most cases. If the pain is severe then paracetamol (or higher potency analgesics like low dose opioids or NSAID) can be used if not contraindicated for any reason. Paracetamol (acetaminophen) 500-1000mg every 6 hours should be enough. Naproxen 500mg twice daily is a more potent alternative (but with more side effects as with all NSAID). Paracetamol with low dose codeine is a safer alternative compared to a NSAID.
Signs of potential infection include: worsening of swelling and pain, presence of pus, worsening of redness and local warmth, fever. Your photo is not very suggestive of infection but looking at a photo is not a great way to assess it. If you believe your hand got very worse (or if it gets worse the next few days) then a visit to your primary care physician would be recommended.
I hope it helps!
sent more pics
sent so you can see both hands
pus means infection
Regardless of the pictures (the last one shows significant swelling) the presence of pus means infection. Infection requires drainage if there's a lot of pus (an abscess that is) and antibiotics. If there's not much pus antibiotics alone should suffice. Infections require medical attention. You'd better visit your doctor as soon as possible.
You can still use the rest of the advice in my previous answer regarding pain and local allergic reaction.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for warts on hand
- Suggest treatment for itchiness on hands and forearm
- Suggest treatment for swelling and numbness on hand
- Suggest treatment for abdomen lump
- Suggest treatment for chapped hands in children
- Suggest treatment for numbness on hand
- Suggest treatment for soreness in hand joints
- Suggest treatment for infection in hand and knuckle
- After radiation treatment lump
- Suggest treatment for lump in the armpits