Suggest treatment for a perforated eardrum

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr,

My husband 34 years old is suffering from perforated ear drum.We did visit an Ent specialist and according to him , his ear drum has ruptured and dere is hardly any drum left.
Lot of smelly discharge comes out from his ear and he puts cotton in his ear while bathing.Also he feels heaviness in his right ear where the actual problem is.When sometimes,he presses his ear , he feels tingling pain.
Doctor said he also has deviated septum.
Doctor has given some antibiotics n ear drop but says surgery is the final thing.
How soon is the surgery required or is dere any other remedy where the condition can be treated with the help of medicines?
What is the actual cause of this problem?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details as discussed below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A perforated ear drum that has not healed with a few weeks requires surgery. Medication cannot heal a perforation in the ear drum as it is a structural defect.

2. The middle ear behind the ear drum is always wet with normal secretions (such as tears in the eyes or saliva in the mouth) and hence is prone to repeated infections. Normally an intact ear drum does not allow this to happen. Once the ear drum is perforated, this area is exposed to the outside or where water enters the ear (as in bathing).

3. The heaviness and pain are due to chronic inflammation and infection in the ear, mastoid bone and surrounding areas.

4. In some patients, the DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) causes changes in the lateral walls of the nose, the sinuses and affects Eustachian tube function. This tube connects the ear to the nose. Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) is one of the mechanisms causing ear drum perforation. Trauma, infection are other common causes.

5. Upload his PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram), Ear drum examination notes or an endoscopic picture of the ear drums for an accurate assessment. You can request an image from some centers.

6. The smelly discharge consists partly of these normal secretions and should be cultured for antibiotic sensitivity.

7. The ear should be dry for at least 3 weeks before any surgery is attempted. Ask if he feels the ear drops in the throat after some time. This helps check if the Eustachian tube is patent (open).

8. Surgery is not an emergency and can be planned as an elective procedure. It is a very common and routine procedure. Because of the innumerable factors involved, the success rate of ear drum replacement is less than 100% worldwide.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.