Suggest treatment for a painful fluid filled blister on the lip
Either a canker sore or a cold sore
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
This could either be a Canker sore or it could be a Cold sore (HSV type 1 infection)
I suggest you to use a topical antiseptic e.g chlorhexidine gluconate gel (hexidine gel), twice daily for a week.
Thank you for the reply. I will start using the gel. Don't I need any oral medication.
HSV -1 being contagious do I need any precautions to be taken.
Regarding lip sore
This is most like a canker sore.
You may apply Metronidazole gel (Metrogyl DG gel) alternating with chlorhexidine gel, every 2-3 hours. No need for oral treatment for a single canker sore.
Avoid direct/close contact like kissing. No other precautions.
You may take a blood test for HSV type 1 & 2, IgG and IgM after 4-6 weeks. That would make it clear whether it is a cold sore or just a canker sore.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fluid filled blisters on calf
- Symptoms of fluid-filled blisters
- Fluid filled blistered skin
- Cluster of fluid filled blisters on penis
- Fluid filled blisters on my thumb
- Fluid filled blisters causes
- Fluid filled blister on buttocks
- Diagnosis of Fluid filled blisters
- Fluid filled blister on anus
- Treatment and cure for fluid-filled blisters