Suggest treatment for a painful benign lesion in the flanks

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, I have been having problems with my left flank area of my back. There is a large raised area (about 3 inches - circular like a softball) to the left of my spine. It is very uncomfortable. I have seen doctor after doctor and they cannot figure it out... I think it is somewhere near my left kidney. There is "strange" discomfort when I push on the spot but the pain is more "internal" feeling. The pain seems to flare up for a couple days then when it gets really bad it finally settles down for a few days then all over again. My back kills me at night or when I am laying down and is more manageable during the day. It seems to wrap around to the front and interferes with my Inner stomach area to the left of my belly button. I keep getting frustrated because nobody can figure it out. I have had a colonoscopy, ultrasound of female region (though it seems to high for that), ultrasound of my kidney, a test where they filled my bladder with fluid to see if it went up vs. down because needing to urinate causes the pain to get worse, and scan with XXXXXXX What is this!?!?! I keep thinking the worst because it has been over 1 year. Exercise does not bother it at all as I exercise on a regular basis so I feel like it isn't muscular?... I have also had a chiropractor look at it and after the visit I was in extreme pain. If I rub the area/lump it seems to relieve the pain at that moment but then it actually irritates the area in the end. Help! Suggestions?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs a clinical examination along with further investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Although it needs to be examined clinically, from your history of one year, it seems to be a benign lesion on your flank, which could be in the subcutaneous or muscular layer. I wouldn't be overly worried about benign lesions.

However if we need to establish the cause, it need a through examination which is best performed by surgeon. If I were your doctor, considering that all your other investigations including the ultrasound of abdomen were clear, after a clinical examination, would advise you for an MRI/CTscan of the area along with comments from the radiologist on your spine as well. If all comes out to be normal, I would advise for a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) to have a cytological diagnosis of the lesion. Further management would depend on the result of the clinical examination and related investigations.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon