Suggest treatment for a muscle strain post an accident

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was helping someone lift a heavy object. My arms were straight and I as I lifted I heard three pops in my right fore arm. I am 51 and still lift weights in the gym. However since this happend 6 weeks ago I can't do any heavy pulling. I can't even help lifting furniture. I can still push but no pull or curling exercises with heavy weight
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi Tnovelli

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.
I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I generally see many cases like this at my clinic, and we found out that there are two possible injuries that can be sustained by this type of history.

1. A muscle tear
2. A partial nerve injury

In your case,a muscle strain, a partial muscle injury seems to be more likely, although 3 weeks is generally enough for healing of such injuries,provided you need to give the tissues complete rest for 3 weeks.

a nerve stretching can also cause these symptoms. such injuries are called neuropraxia

i suggest you to do a few investigations-
1. MRI OF FOREARM-to see any muscle injury
2. NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES / ELECTROMYOGRAPHY - to see any neuropraxia

i would like to know the reports so that i can guide you further

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.

Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj