Suggest treatment for a lung infection and sore throat while on Amoxicillin

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I have a bacterial lung infection last couple of months that responded initially very well to amoxicillin but the dose was too low n bacteria became resistant wasn't killed off fully n now no antibiotics are working on it. Iv refrained from smoking extremely light social smoker but very bad 4 me my throat tissues burned badly last time I binged per say on cigs maybe 3 packs over one month way more than normal. Anyway iv underlying muscle n blood weakness which leaves me sensitive to smoking. Anyway iv managed not to smoke since infection only last week iv had 3. On Fri I had last one but my throat later inflamed so I knew this was a bad idea and stopped. Just this morning Sunday I woke up feeling unwell sore throat nausea stuffy nose headache weak I'll not another virus oh no. So I stayed in bed all day.

***At around 6/7 i go to make some food in kitchen made it all n then suddenly out of nowhere I got extremely dizzy and sweaty n felt I was gonna faint everything started spinning or getting weaker I put my plates down n went into chair b4 I collapsed. When I lay down I could hear like a small waterfall in my head like blood was draining in or out I dunno which of my brain. I was also breathing rapidly from left lung infection site. I lay there weak dizzy n sweaty till the waterfall stopped n got up approx 3/4 mins since lying down n was covered in cold sweat but dizziness subsided. Why would this be?***

The breathing in my left lung has gotten worse like very mild deoxygenation like my lung can't such enough oxygen. So this last cig I had must have weakened body n offset these symptoms. What should I do? Is it serious I'm more worried about work on Tuesday morning don't want to be fainting in work. Feeling rather unwell like can't get out of bed. Iv an upcoming respiratory app on Thursday morning coz of this ongoing lung bacteria than has become resistant to the antibiotics. It's really a big problem and not easy to get rid of. Should I push through till then or was this dizzy spell trying to tell me something. I was trying to think I only drank 2 glasses of water b4 this maybe I was dehydrated? I'm drinking more water now but still feel bad.

I was given a z pak by my doc a few weeks ago but never took as its exact same as clarithromycin which didn't work plus I'd to take potassium and magnesium as my levels went low with all previous antibiotics so it was dangerous to take another depleter of those. Can you imagine all this from a simple infection easily treatable but coz was given 250mgs of amoxicillin instead of 500mgs it didn't kill it n it regrew resistant!!!
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a blood culture and appropriate antibiotic course.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX yes sometimes things get messed up. Best option now is---
Stop smoking--try nicotine patches --Bupripion--anything. Smoking in your case is bad.
Meanwhile--take a good expectorant with Bromhexine, and Guaphenisen and a mild bronchodilator like Terbutaline--in day time 2 tsf twice a day.
Monteleukast (10mg) with Fexofenadine (120) at night.
Steam inhalation with Vicks or Eucalyptus oil twice a day.
Boost your immunity--with exercise and a nutritious diet, especially fruits and vegetables.
Go to work and remain positive.
Discuss all these with your doctor.
You can revert back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 11 hours later
Hi doctor yes I will discuss them with him.

What will a blood culture do? I had a crp of 53 but no blood culture. I think a doc mentioned this awhile back but said there's no point coz it won't show exactly where or what infection? I dunno.

That's the problem how will I know which antibiotic to take and especially coz it's resistant will anything work on it? Seems the bacteria has adapted too well n can fend off anything. Would I need to get a bronchoscooy?

I can try expectorants that you say but don't feel there is mucus to get up. Mostly when I get bacterial chest infections I don't get up mucus coz I didn't catch it off anyone iv only ever got them from smoking so it's just multiplied within my own body from a harmless bag bug but then became harmful coz it multiplied. All were moderate infection except for one serious one where I really struggled to breathe and the pain n symptoms were more severe n my heart was pumping out my chest when I walked up stairs. I had to stay upstairs. Anyway my point in saying that is it was most severe bronchial pneumonia n I'd no mucus with that either except when I took steroids an 1/2 hour later I coughed up thick bloody mucus n then never coughed up anymore. This one is less severe n didn't cough up anything with steroids or felt they done anything nor did they do anything for the other infection. When it's viral chest infection then iv lots mucus I think coz that's an outside invader I'm not sure.

I'm just sick of it at this stage n having the discomfort in my lung I'd love to have it gone n my lung back to normal. I feel trapped and stuck n like I'll be left with it, that's why I ended up cracking up n smoking. I don't have much energy to exercise but I do some stretches I feel pressure or mild palps on lung when I try to do anything too physical sometimes it's pain sometimes tightness. It's numb too n just feels blocked. So I don't think it's good to exercise too much with it. I'd love to exercise n go to gym but iv no energy. It's hard to think straight too. I just go from bed to work really coz I'm constantly fatigued with it. If it was dead my head would clear n energy would come back up, it's very frustrating.

Can I ask one last question? Xrays why they don't show up some people's infections. Is it only if there is fluid or mucus what are you actually seeing on Xrays? Coz iv had a lot of chest infections the Last 2 years n had very bad coughs which is why doc sent x ray they were defo infection there but not serious moderate one but Xrays was clear? Only the serious one I had showed up on x ray? The doc that night said she could See the bronchitis all the way down my throat and in upper lobe of lung n indeed yes that's where the severe pain was so she must have seen it I even asked her was she sure n she said yes Cox I was surprised seen as they're normally clear yet when the radiographer report back to my own gp he said it was clear I don't understand that at all...I know docs say n see different things but the emergency doc was right. She was a very good doc n pity I didn't get her to start coz 2 weeks before I went in with sane infection n was sent home coz x ray n chest clear I couldn't understand coz the nurse said I shudder come in sooner you could hear even location of infection the cough was horrendous like a severe barking embarressing loud cough they never call people in ahead at that hospital but she called Mr in n said I needed an antibiotic you'd want to be really stupid not to know it was definitely a bad infection. I ended up going home still very sick n taking garlic tablets n burning my whole insides out that's when I ended up back in hospital n by then the lung infection was detected on stetascope n x ray n docs said was very bad kept me in overnight n gave antibiotics n said I needed to see a pulmonary or respiratory coz there was no evidence on ray I'm smoking Cox I smoked so little but little even makes me sick coz iv a blood n muscle thing it relates to that. It just annoys me that doc think it's non existent if a test doesn't pick but sometimes it's just not making noise or whatever in the lung to be picked up but is definitely there.

I know why they warn on antibiotics resistant coz it's very hard to treat then. I was aware of this n very reluctant to take the 250mgs dose initially as I thought it was very low...I'm sorry I didn't hold off n go back to the doc n ask for 500mfs instead n I wouldn't be through all this crap.

It's good to get different opinions. Hopefully this respiratory consultant will know what to do coz the general docs don't really know about the resistant or what to do. It obviously isn't that common, I thought it would have been abit more but it's not. Although I see a warning on some antibiotics to take full course and right dose as subtheraputic levels cause resistance and this is what has happened to me.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My advise for a blood culture if there is no mucous coming out, stands.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I am glad you are seeing a respiratory consultant.
The expectorant I have suggested will help although there is no mucous coming out. It may loosen up any mucous that is accumulated and bring it out, reducing breathlessness.
Regarding x-ray--yes some Radiologists report a normal x-ray and we clinicians can spot a bit of bronchitis. And x-ray will come normal if problem is in throat and not bronchii.
You can revert back
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 23 hours later
Ok. The problem is in my lung not my throat. It just happened to be on my throat as well then. Ct scan also showed up infection when x ray was 'clear'. The Xrays don't pick up some infections.

Ok I'll ask for blood culture. Dunno if it was that simple was has no one done this before. I'll mention to doc.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you the best-

Detailed Answer:
Wish you the best--regards