• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a lump in the wrist

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello! I'm attaching an image of the inside of my left arm, where you'll see two bumps. There is a bump at the outside right of my wrist (the ulna??), which feels hard, but it may just be the bone below which I'm feeling (as in my other wrist). There is also a softer bump further up my forearm, which is softer (I also have a similar one on my other arm).

I can't honestly say how long they have been there. They do not cause any pain or numbness, and are not red or swollen. Could they be ganglion cysts?

The physicians assistant at my doctors office said the one is a ganglion cyst, but thought the one on my wrist could be a schwanoma, as it is harder. However, could it just be the bone below the cyst that is making it feel harder, as I have that bone on the other wrist as well? I read that schwanomas are not very common (and of course, reading that some can be cancerous made me nervous...I really shouldn't not google these things!!)

Thanks for your input!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs ultrasound scan and Xray

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

The soft swelling in the arm could be a useless Lipoma or localised benign fat growth.

The swelling in the wrist need further evaluation with an ultrasound scan to find out if it is bony or does it contain any fluid. You can do an ultrasound scan even for the swelling in the forearm.

You definitely do not have a Schwannoma. It is extremely rare and does not present over the prominent regions of the distal part of the ulna on both sides.

Do keep a watch if the size of the swellings increase and how fast they increase as welll.

I hope I have answered your query

I will be available to answer your follow up queries

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later
Thank you so much for your prompt response doctor!

As I said, neither of the swellings is causing any pain or issues, and neither seems to have increased in size at all; they may have been there a very long time and I have just not noticed them before. That being the case, if they are not causing any problems, do you feel I can forego an ultrasound or X-ray unless they become painful or enlarge in the future?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, do get the ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.

It would be better to get the ultrasound done to confirm the swelling morphology so that you can be at peace and not be worried.
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Thanks again doctor! I'll definitely take your advice and ask my doctor for a referral for an ultrasound.

In the meantime, do you think there is anything to be worried about?
Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Don't worry. Just think and feel positive. Nothing to worry about
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon