Suggest treatment for a lump behind the ears

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a big bump behind my ear. I first felt it around 2 days ago and thought it was just a pimple. Now after I washed my face and tried to look at it and it looks pretty big. Could it be serious?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information regarding symptoms and preferably also an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

I would like to know, do you have any symptoms like pain in that region ?tenderness over it?fever?

I also request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in REPORTS SECTION so that I am able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 39 minutes later
it's a little tender. I don't have a fever or feel sick or anything.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either bacterial skin infection Or infected sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images. Though not very clear images but the area definitely looks infected - perhaps a bacterial skin infection/ furuncle with cellulitis OR an infected sebaceous cyst. Based on the present conditions i suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a week. Topically you may use an antibacterial ointment e.g mupirocin ointment or neosporin ointment, twice daily for a week. Oral antibiotics are prescription medications and I suggest that you visit a general practitioner in your region for the needful.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
ok thank you. I'll be sure get the antibiotics. How are these things caused?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. It is a bacterial infection - most commonly due to staph. It can arise as a one off thing in anyone.. Oral antibiotics and topical antibacterial cream would take care of it.