• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a ligament injury

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 37 yr old female, smoker, no major health issues other than morbid obesity (5"3 and 280 lbs). I have no history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. I did something to my knee about 5 weeks ago while we were moving. I was carrying/ pushing a box and suddenly felt something in the back of my knee pop. I had some soreness and stiffness the next few days after and it has progressively started getting worse since then. I feel like my knee doesn't extend back all the way when standing up and if I try to raise my leg up while sitting I can only do so about 1/2 way- its very painful to try and my leg shakes while doing it. The last 3 days it has been very hard to walk and now my lower calf, ankle and foot are swollen (not painful swelling, just tight skin feeling). I have a desk job and am not active so I don't think I have been over using my knee since the initial injury. I should mention that I also have pain in the front of my knee, especially if any pressure is put on my knee cap or the right inner side of my knee. Should I see my doctor or does this sound like something that might resolve on its own?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be ligament injury.

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms described this can be a ligament tear. This is not likely to subside on its own as it is getting worse day by day. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of knee. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to see the severity of ligament tear. Meanwhile
*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.

*Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.

*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon