Suggest treatment for a hip bone injury

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX
Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I had a back fusion in 1998. T9,10,11,12,L1 Of course my pain from than is chronic but tolerable. I'm also a traumatic brain injury survivor since 1995. I was working as a missionary in the rain forest in Brazil .I fell 20 head first onto concrete. I Thank God with 17 allowed conditions I'm alive. I have a great care team.
This new condition has been overlooked and because of all the other conditions this one is not getting the attention it should. A few months ago I fell and hit that side and was hanging upside down hanging from a scaffold. I was working and misjudged the ladder I was stepping onto. Its a hot burning sensitization. At times it keep me from raising up or laying on my side. I'm concerned there is something we are missing. They did take a x-ray of my back and its stable. Once they saw that they said its all from the original fall.
My question is could there be something fro my hip bone to my spine that was injured and the x-ray of the back did not show it. I don't want for something else to get fixed. I will deal with the pain. Its just the unknown that concerns me ,
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,its possible

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Primarily,this pain seems to be a neuropathy caused by inflammation / pinching of a spinal nerve in the back.

But,there are few soft tissue structures like the nerves and muscle that span from hip to the spine.So,there is every possibility that this pain can be a radiating or refered pain from a hip joint injury or a sacro-iliac joint injury.

So i would surely suggest you to get a MRI / Xray of the hip as well as the pelvis to rule out these causes of pain.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for your answer. That is what I would like to do. What is the best way to tell my care team that it needs done. All this is under my Workers Comp claim. I must convince them it's a necessity because of the pain. Thank you so much for what you do to help so many people.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Query answered

Detailed Answer:
You can bring it to their notice that your pain is just not in the back but it does radiate down to some extent and that movement of the hips aggravates the pain.

This will convince them to get the above mentioned investigations done.

Once these are done,do let me know the reports.I would be happy to help and guide you further.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D