Suggest treatment for a hematoma on the head

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, I took a hard fall on a cement patio, flat on my forehead, I ended up with a hematoma which is very hard. The bruising went down my face the next day, both eyes were swollen shut and red. The eyes cleared and most of the swelling left. I still have some bruising on my face. What concerns me is how long can the bump on my forehead take to go away, I have been icing it. Should I have had it drained? When is it too late to have it drained.? It's been almost 2 weeks.How long does it take to get an answer?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....better get it drained
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Your bump is due to collection of blood there.
Since it is already 2 weeks and bump is not resolving,then it would be better to get it drained because icing now won't have any further beneficial effect on you.
Please consult your doctor to get it drained.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 minutes later
Thank you for your help. Do they usually spray something on it to numb the area before inserting a needle?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
In general no spray is required to insert the needle but a spray can be used if patient is apprehensive and zittery.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng