Suggest treatment for a dog bite

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Do I treat a puncture wound dog bite with hardened area under the skin with ice happened approximately 4hrs ago
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there are some things to do...

Detailed Answer:

First of all, the area has to be meticulously cleared from dirt and other potentially dangerous stuff. You can use normal saline 0,9% to do that and perhaps an antimicrobial agent as well.

Your vaccination status against tetanus and rabies has to be checked. If you've not been vaccinated against tetanus during the last 5-10 years then you may require a repeat vaccination.

If the dog is suspicious of being rabid then anti-rabies vaccination should be initiated as soon as possible. If you've never been vaccinated against rabies then anti-rabies serum would also be required.

In any case, if it's anything more than a simple scratch then you'd better let a doctor assess its severity.

I hope you find this information helpful!
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Kind regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis