Suggest treatment for a dog bite

Posted on Wed, 7 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: Should be given
Hello sir I got scratched by a dog of unknown status and I got anti rabies vaccine 4or 5 shots 3 years ago now today I got scratched again by anothert dog should I get vaccine again on day 0 and day 3 meaning 2 shots only or complete full course again plus hrig isn't available kindly tell me what's the effectiveness of vaccine if hrig is not given for category 2 wound according to WHO plus I'm treated by varorab0. 5 ml is this enough I read 1.5ml should be given
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
2 dosage

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.

I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.

If you have been vaccined with 4 shots, 3 years ago with verorab 0.5mg (that is enough).

This time .
According to the medical guidelines you need to do only 2 injections : Day 0 ( the day the dog bites you ) and Day 3 .

You don't need to take the injection of Rabies Imunne globuline (RIG) cause you have it already from previous injection (<5years from the previous vaccination ).
Take Care !
Dr Balliu .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 29 minutes later
Dear Madam I was only given vaccine 3 years ago not RIG so that's my concern is 2 shots vaccine enough or no without RIG 3 years ago rig was not administered kindly reply best regards
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For category 2, its enough

Detailed Answer:
Hello there !
Thank you for your clarifications.
If the wound is category 2 , would be enough the vaccine .
The local doctor needs to examine the wound and give the advice.

Hope i have answered your question.
Take Care!

Dr. Rudina Balliu