Suggest treatment for a deep cut wound near knee
Looks OK, attach the photos.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read and understood your history and queries and concerns.
To recapitulate: Male/35 - 2 inch laceration as explained - stitched the muscles - 3 wide stitches for skin - when you sit and bend your knee, the wound pokes out a bit - no redness, edema is present -
- The knee is numb as the nerves supplying that much part must have been cut by the laceration and may recover well over time and there is nothing that can be done for that at the moment.
- Need to stitch underneath indicate that the depth was much.
- It is good that the wound is not red and closure is looking good.
- Please remember one thing, as we go down the body, the healing takes more time, hence the time for healing would be 10- 14 days at the knee level. This is the character of the body of all people.
- All this looks fine and hence continue the treatment properly.
- Apply Liquid Povidone iodine before and after bathe and two more times to the wound and all the are surrounding it. This helps in making the skin sterile and avoid secondary infection.
- This probably has not messed with the knee if the knee movement is normal and without pain.
- The bruising will vanish over time and if the local temperature of the wound is normal, nothing to worry.
You may attach the clear photographs with this query so that I can have on-th-spot diagnosis.
Ultrasonography of the area
Thanks for a very clear picture.
There is definitely a substantial edema with echhymosis which has spared the dressing mark which might have been under pressure.
The color of the skin is surprisingly normal.
Ecchymosis is not a problem, it will get resolved.
Now if it important to see why the swelling:
Hematoma deep within?
Collection of pus deep within?
Or just a local response that is enhanced due to no complete rest to the know joint.
I think you need to get a review clinical examination for the wound, knee joint; ultrasonography of the edematous area to see whether there is collection deep within; if present to aspirate it to see whether this is the clot or pus.
If no collection, take a proper anti-inflammatory medicine and you will be fine.
Complete rest to the knee joint is a must.
If there is suspicion of any problem with the knee joint, MRI may be needed and is decided by the Doctor on examination.
I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to ask for further relevant questions if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment to remove wound scars on face
- Suggest treatment for non-healing wound
- Suggest medication and treatment for painful knee
- Suggest treatment for to heal wound on knee
- Suggest treatment for a reopened wound on penis
- Swelling around the open wound suggested treatment
- Suggest treatment for knee pain
- Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee
- Suggest treatment for knee injury
- Suggest treatment for sore knees