Suggest treatment for a cut on the finger

Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My son is 29 years old. He got a cut on finger with a scissors last evening. I would like to know if he needs tetanus toxoid injection. Last he got TT shot was in January 2013 , almost three and a half years ago. In childhood he got DPT vaccination at 4, 5, and 6months age then at one and half year then 5 years and then in 10th year
Answered by Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get TT injection now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.
I read your query.
You can get an inj TT done now for your son. Tetanus injection can be taken once a yr.

Get back to me if any query.

Dr VSK

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar 17 minutes later
Thanks for the response
Just to be sure, as he got full series of vaccination in childhood as i detailed in my first query and last vaccination was three and half years ago. Does he still need to get it now?
Is it to be taken within 24 hours or is 48 hours fine too?
Answered by Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you have to get it done now.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for follow up.
Even though you got all the vaccinations done for your son, he still needs a TT shot right now because of cut injury. Immunity stays only for certain period after evry vaccine.
You can get it within 48hrs.

Get back to me if any query.

Dr VSK
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj