Suggest treatment for a child having blisters on rectum

Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: my 2 year old has small blisters on her rectum
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: probably it is bacterial infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on XXXXXXX I need to ask a few questions to narrow down the diagnosis. If you can answer the following: Can you describe the rash? Is your daughter having blisters over the anal region or inside the rectum? Are the blisters filled with fluid? Do the blisters rupture on touch? Does she have any other symptoms? It is not possible to see blisters in the rectum without doing proctoscopy. If the blisters are seen externally over the anal region most probably it is bacterial infection. Better take antibiotics with the advise of the doctor It may be allergic rash /diaper rash. In that case apply candid ointment and cetrizine syrup for a few days. Since examination by a doctor is essential, it should be seen by a pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis and proper treatment Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 39 minutes later
the blisters are over the anal region, not inside. They have broke so not sure about fluid. They do not hurt her and she has no other symptoms. She has had a bad viral cough for 3 weeks now and I just started probiotics 2 days before this happened. Any other thoughts? Her stool has lots of mucus in it as so does her cough.
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: cough and stools require attention to blisters. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. YOU need to give a cough syrup containing dextromethorphone to suppress the cough. you may give DM cough syrup 2-3 times daily to suppress cough. For mucous in the stools you are already using probiotics . that will do. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics