Suggest treatment for a bladder infection resulting in frequent urination and pelvic pain

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 81 years old..and have just been put on nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg..I read the flyer and am afraid to the XXXXXXX I hate taking meds. I only have to take it for 7 days, two a day.
Can I still take my vitamins ,B,C,D,E. magn. bio flex and calcium??
I am taking the mono/mac for a bladder infection, which I don't think I have. My urine is not dark, does not smell and I have no itching or burning..
Should I ask for another urine test??
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have the results of teh first test?

Detailed Answer:

If you have the results of the first urine test, kindly forward to me for review and second opinion. It is difficult to completely role out the possibility of an ongoing infection from the symptoms alone. However, most bladder infection will cause pelvic pain, frequent urination in small volumes and maybe pain during urination.

Nitrofurantoin is a safe drug. Though there are many possible side effects listed on the leaflet, only a very tiny proportion of patients taking it would ever get to develop any. I use it on most of my clients and I have hardly received any ad reviews based on their experiences. I will not encourage you to be so scared of it.

I hope this helps. I hope to hear back from you. I very much hope this is guiding and helpful as you figure out the best approach handling this.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 27 minutes later
THANK YOU for telling me it is a safe drug.
I don't have the results of the urine test., Was just told by my Drs PA as to the results.
Can I drink MILK and eat YOUGURT while taking it. It helps an uneasy stomach.
I am getting an MRI Sunday, for the noise in my head...why do I have to fast for 8 hours??
Do you think I should get another urine test???

Thank you Dr Ditah for getting back to me so soon, it is much appreciated. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can get yogurt and milk!

Detailed Answer:

You can get yogurt and milk though I will recommend that you take this 2hours away from medications just to play safe.

I will no recommend any new urine test at this time. Follow through with treatment and that will be enough to tell if there is anything else that we might be missing out on.

Thanks for your kind words and know am always available to follow through with you.

Kind regards and wish you a quick recovery, too!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 hours later
Hello again...
You didn't answer my question about vitamins..can I still take them?
Vit B, C, E, magnesium, calcium , and D.
Thank you.. XXXXXXX C
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take all of your vitamins and supplements!

Detailed Answer:

I missed out on that. Yes, you can take all of them while on nitrofurantoin. There is no harm in doing so.

I hope you are doing better already. I wish you well and will be glad to learn about your progress.

Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP. YOU HAVE TAKEN AWAY A LOT OF
WORRY, I HATE TAKING MEDICINE.
WHEN YOU GET OLDER, THE MORE MEDICATION SOME DRS SEEM TO PUSH ON YOU...NOT FAIR. HA! HA! HA! SORRY!

THANK YOU AGAIN.. XXXXXXX CLINE
NOMADSMOM

Brief Answer:
I understqnd your concerns!

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXXXX

In reality, we all don't love medicines. The only reason why I recommend this to my clients is because it is more beneficial to take than not. Any time I can get my clients up and strong again without medications, I will always use that option.

I wish you well. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Kind regards and always talk to me if you have any concerns.