Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for a benign subcutaneous cyst at the anus

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 1942 Questions

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Doc,

I was posting my comments there and for some reason it is not getting posted there.

I went and saw the Doctor yesterday, he did a thorough checkup.

Based on his analysis what he mentioned is - its is not a hemorrhoid but a Benign Subcutaneous Cyst.

It is small and it is bouncing back even after pushing it in.
Its smooth and goo skin around it and may be some liquid in it.
Its not a wart or something cancerous in clinical checking

He asked me to watch it and report in case it grows and he can recommend to a surgeon to remove it. But he thinks it is not needed from what he observed.

I posted multiple times on the first post I had with you and for some reason the posted question never showed up so I am opening this .

This question is for :

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear patient,
Thats why i insisted for a physical examination.
Clinically evaluating a patient is very important.

An anal abscess is usually a painful condition in which a collection of pus develops near the anus. Most anal abscesses are a result of infection from small anal glands. The most common type of abscess is a perianal abscess. This often appears as a boil-like swelling near the anus.This is also termed by some doctors as subcutaneous cyst.Perianal means the area of the body surrounding the anus, and in particular, the skin.Anus consists of a number of small internal gland blockage in one of them may result in such kind of cysts.
Fortunately as its not painful right now i would suggest you to go for a wait and watch policy as said by your primary.
Most of the times such cysts are caused as a result of infection or blockage of anal gland pores by debris.
Prophylactically as its not painful at present(Pain is body way to express that some thing is grossly wrong;Natures gift) i would like to prescribe you an antibiotic with a potent anti inflammatory for 1 week).
See if there is any on going infection then antibiotic would cover that.
Anti inflammatory would take care of inflammation as a result of blockage of gland.

But in USA getting a prescription is a big deal.
They are too skeptical when it comes to use of drugs therefore as a matter of fact the biggest contribution in medical science is either from europe or germans).

So if you can manage-
Tab Cefixime 200 mg( Covers gram positive and negative both). twice a day 9 am - 9 pm.
Tab Diclofenac 100 mg slow release once a day for 5-7 days can be taken.

Otherwise we have no option other then wait and watch and if pus develops then it would be drained by incision.

Keep that area clean.
Use betadine ointment twice over that to clean it thoroughly.
You can use this link directly any time in future for asking query.
I would get an intimation immediately on a direct query so i can reply asap.
As off now don’t worry.

Wish you a good day ahead!
Feel free to follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. I hope there is nothing to worry, I was worried if it is cancerous in nature or something.

I am keeping the area clean and getting the medicine is hard here without prescription .

I am keeping it clean and I hope it is not something bad.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear patient,
Perianal cysts or masses are rarely cancerous in nature.
I know its too hard to get a prescription in US.
So lets wait and watch.
Stay calm no need to panic right now.
However keep a watch on its size and if pain starts consult asap.
Wish you luck.
Hope i was helpful.
Do write a review.
Any suggestions to make answers better are always welcome.
Regards and enjoy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, it iw worry some as the internet search shows something up. I never felt anything or not sure what caused it. I hope it doesn't cause nay complications, I am trying to relax but as you know it is concerning for me.

Have you seen anything similar before, hope it is not complicated.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
See dear as a matter of fact an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory should be given because the sole reason for visiting a doctor is to try to avoid any possible complication even if chances are 1%.

When medicines are available investigations are available insurance is there, then why to wait and watch.

Let us consider that 99.9% it's a plain cyst but what if it gets infected?
That too when you are living in the most developed nation in the world.
No need to panic but wait and watch is almost always a chance no one knows or can't predict things.
In my opinion, he should have at least done an anal MRI to see if it has an inner track leading to anal canal or not.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Physical examination shows it is not in the anal canal but at the outside edge below the king and it moves when we touches it and bounce back like a smallest pea underneath the skin.

He did a thorough exam and he is a good doctor and spot on things.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
In that case, just relax don’t panic.
Although rare things do occur, they are rare.

Keep a watch on few things like the increase in size, increase in temperature, increased redness, any smelly discharge from that area or anything suspicious.

As explained earlier my dear medical science is firstly about clinical examination and then only investigation.

Unfortunately, I can’t examine you so I fully agree with your primary consultant and his opinion.

Let us wait and watch and I wish you recover soon.

Don’t worry you would be fine soon. Even in worst case scenario, we need to drain an abscess(minor operation). So you can just relax have faith in your primary consultant.

Thank you.
Please do rate my answer and any suggestions to improve answers are most welcome.
Please feel free to ask any doubt or query any time you want it would be a pleasure to provide you with a professional advice.

Dr. Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on