Suggest treatment for a 7 mm kidney stone in an elderly person

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: I am a 73 year old male, have been in atrial fibrillation for may years, controlled with medication after many failed attempts to do cardio versions, who has now been diagnosed with a 7 mm kidney stone, for which a stent has been inserted to relieve the pain, and am now looking at treatments to break up the stone. As I understand it, there are two different approaches to this, one sonic and one laser, and one is less likely to need to delay treatment while getting my INR into a preferred or safer range. your opinion will be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs no intervention. This is best..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..

Please note..

1. 7mm stone generally does not need any intervention..
Especially considering your age and co morbidities.

2. Stent is usually put if there are any Ureteric stones and not for Kidney stones as such..

3. ESWL fragmentation was best provided you didn't have Atrial Fibrillation.

4. So I suggest..

A. Do not worry about the 7mm kidneys stone
B. If you get pain then take NSAID group of drugs
C. Drink lots of water after consulting with your Cardiologist.
D. Keep a check on the size of stone.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Or, you can close the question and rate..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj