• question-icon

Suggest treatment for UTI

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I continue to have a UTI. Was placed on a 14 day antibiotic. Re-did Urinalysis Miroscopy. 4 areas were found still abnormal: Don't understand what these individual tests means: 1) U-BACT 2)WBC 3.) U-LEU 4. U-BLO Thank You
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get Urine culture done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Based on the facts that you have been getting repeated episodes of UTI since couple of years have been prescribed antibiotics .

The primary cause of getting UTI repeatedly at this age is mostly due to what is called as Urethral Stenosis .(Narrowing of Urethra) .

In females as the age advances there is generalized atrophy of Genito Urinary organs that also involves Urethral passage (Urethra) causing narrowing of urethral passage .This results in to incomplete emptying of bladder during every act of urination which results in some amount of urine to remain in bladder what is called as Post Void Residual Urine (PVR) This residual urine is the source of infection giving rise to repeated episodes of UTI.

I would suggest you to consult your Urologist and get following basic tests done
1) Urine culture to trace out the organisms causing this infection and their antibiotic sensitivity pattern .so that you can take appropriate antibiotic to eradicate the infection ,

2)Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis .

3) Endoscopic examination of Bladder (Cystoscopy) with calibration of Urethra (Dilatation ) so as to help in complete emptying of bladder ,This has to be followed by a self catheterization at home to keep the urethra well dilated .This will help to avoid the future recurrence of UTI,

As regards your query about microscopic parameters reported in urine analysis

1) U Bact-Indicates presence or absence of Bacteria in given sample of urine

2) WBC These are White Blood Cells in urine .White Blood Cells are part of defense mechanism of body that fight against infection .WBC in urine are dead WBC in urine .There presence is suggestive of infection in urine

3) U Leu
-Is the presence of Leukocyte esterase that is liberated from the walls of WBC during fight against bacteria .This indicated active UTI.

4)U-Blo -
It suggest presence of blood in urine which also strongly suggests infection .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist