Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for TFCC tear

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4458 Questions
I fell on my wrist 5 months ago. My last xray dated in March shows a dorsal triquetral avulsion fracture and MRI shows TFCC tear. I have had two steriod shots and only two weeks of soft splint braces. Still havign significant pain, no strength and pain , especially when using my wrist in any "weighted extension or rotation.
Any further treatment recommendations ?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might need TFCC surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
I have read your case and it looks to me that you are having TFCC tear and because of this instability during movements. I would recommend you to send me your MRI report so that I can offer you better advise. Usually in my patients with this injury I have following suggestions.
1. If tear is acute or less then 6 weeks old then it needs to be repaired. it can be done by arthroscopy surgery.
2. In your case it is already 4 -5 months old so I do not think repair will be possible and only treatment possible is arthroscopic debridement of the tear. It will give you good pain relief. This is a key hole surgery and not required any rest or big cut in skin. So if there is severe pain i would suggest you to consider this option.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you have any other followup query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for TFCC tear 19 minutes later
PLease see the uploaded MRI report
What about the avulsion fracture ? The displacement of the bone from Feb to March has lessened by 25 %
Is that something to worry about ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avulsion fracture does not need any treatment

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your MRI report and it is most degenerative tear so it will need debridement of the TFCC tear. I would suggest you to get it done by a surgeon well versed with arthroscopy surgery.
As far as avulsion fracture of the ulna styloid is concerned it does not need any active treatment and it will not going to create any problem in future.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor