Suggest treatment for TFCC tear

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I fell on my wrist 5 months ago. My last xray dated in March shows a dorsal triquetral avulsion fracture and MRI shows TFCC tear. I have had two steriod shots and only two weeks of soft splint braces. Still havign significant pain, no strength and pain , especially when using my wrist in any "weighted extension or rotation.
Any further treatment recommendations ?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might need TFCC surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
I have read your case and it looks to me that you are having TFCC tear and because of this instability during movements. I would recommend you to send me your MRI report so that I can offer you better advise. Usually in my patients with this injury I have following suggestions.
1. If tear is acute or less then 6 weeks old then it needs to be repaired. it can be done by arthroscopy surgery.
2. In your case it is already 4 -5 months old so I do not think repair will be possible and only treatment possible is arthroscopic debridement of the tear. It will give you good pain relief. This is a key hole surgery and not required any rest or big cut in skin. So if there is severe pain i would suggest you to consider this option.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you have any other followup query.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for TFCC tear 19 minutes later
PLease see the uploaded MRI report
What about the avulsion fracture ? The displacement of the bone from Feb to March has lessened by 25 %
Is that something to worry about ?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avulsion fracture does not need any treatment

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your MRI report and it is most degenerative tear so it will need debridement of the TFCC tear. I would suggest you to get it done by a surgeon well versed with arthroscopy surgery.
As far as avulsion fracture of the ulna styloid is concerned it does not need any active treatment and it will not going to create any problem in future.
Thanks.