Suggest treatment for Phenytoin poisoning

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife is suffering from Dialantin poisoning and can understand things told to her but has trouble forming the right words to talk. She is frustrated and anxious. She is in a rehab facility. Will she improve where she can talk?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but it will take some time.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since your wife's Doctor ordered rehabilitation, it means that the acute phase of the Dilantin toxicity passed.

Rehabilitation is necessary to improve and monitor equilibrium, vision and speech problems caused by phenytoin poisoning.

Most patients with phenytoin toxicity symptoms do well in a couple of weeks, so, it will take some time to improve.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad