Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for Peyronie's disease

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 756 Questions
About 10 years ago, I awoke with a bent erection. I thought I was dreaming, but it was true and my penis had shrunk from 6 1/2" to 4 1/2 to 5". I saw a urologist and he said I had peonies disease. The doctor prescribed a Verapamil topical gel. I applied the medicine according to directions for approximately 4-6 months with NO success.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You may have Peyronie's disease. Detailed Answer: Peyronie's disease affects 1% of all men and usually develops in the middle age although you get and older patients are not unusual. Peyronie's disease causes formation of plaques ( scar tissues) in the blood vessel inside the penis causing uneven erections and painful erections. Bending is the most common complaint of patients with Peyronie's disease. Peyronie's disease are self limiting in 20% of cases. The development of plaques stops and the penile deformities would stabilize and the pain would also cease. Causes of the disease are still unclear although it may be related to trauma in the penis and genetic/hereditary factors. Few patients requires treatment and indications are pain and inability to have adequate sexual activity due to the deformities. Treatment may be injections and surgery. There is a new drug approved by FDA and the only FDA approved drug for Peyronie's disease. Xiaflex is the name of the drug and is believed to work by breaking down the scar tissue that causes the curvature. The drug involves injections to the penis and scar tissue . Surgery is used for severe Peyronie's where penile curvature is corrected by removal of the plaques and reconstruction although penile function may diminish. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor