Suggest treatment for PCOS

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi sir/mam..I m 23 and i was diagnosed with PCOS..i consulted to nearby gynecologist who advice me to take estil and progestil. its about more than one week and my periods haven't come yet..
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PCOS needs lifestyle changes. Now wait for the Periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic .

2 ) As you may be knowing that PCOS is a lifestyle disorder, and it gets corrected by lifestyle modifications.

3 ) If you have already taken the hormone containing pills, please patiently wait for the onset of periods.
Later on, you can start on cyclical pills containing low dose estrogen and cyprterone . These pills are taken for 21 days, and a pill free period of 7 days. This can be taken for 4 to 6 cycles.
Of course you will need a prescription for the same.

4 ) I will suggest you to indulge in a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen. Include more portions of fruits, salads and vegetables in daily diet. Drink plenty of water in the day. Avoid deep fried foods, bakery products and refined sugars. Avoid substance abuse if any.
These simple daily changes will help to correct the hormonal changes of PCOS back to the normal.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 5 hours later
if we are in these medicines(estril and progestril) and we had unprotected sex...Is there any chances of pregnancy??
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
with these medicines no chances of getting pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

Usually these 2 pills are prescribed when you have missed your periods and urine pregnancy test is negative.

Also, when you are taking these hormones , endometrium - lining of the uterus becomes unfavourable for implementation of the pregnancy and also does not allow egg formation in the ovaries. So when you are talking estrogen and progesterone pills you won't get pregnancy, even if you have unprotected sex act.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 29 hours later
But sir endometrium becomes unfavorable for implementation of pregnancy but there may have chances of ectopic pregnancy..so whats your opinion about this ectopic pregnancy??
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Negative pregnancy test rules out ectopic pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concerns about ectopic pregnancy. But even then, urine pregnancy test or blood beta HCG test is positive. And a prudent USG will be able to diagnose Ectopic pregnancy.

So in view of negative pregnancy test , you need not worry about ectopic pregnancy.

I hope this answer helps helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee